Basic Paper Format
- You should head your paper on the top right-hand side of your paper.
Last name, First name
How to do a Title
- The title of your paper should be centered at the top of your paper?s first page.
- Capitalize the first letter of your title and all the longer important words in your title (not of, and, etc.).
- When typing, make the title two font sizes larger, but do not underline or italicize it.
Basic Text Formatting
- For handwritten papers, write in blue or black ink unless your teacher allows otherwise.
- For typed papers, use some standard black font of 12-point type.
- When typing a paper, always double-space.
- Be sure to indent all of your paragraphs 5 spaces (at least a quarter of an inch or one tab).
- Do not put an additional line between paragraphs.
- For formal papers, use margins of one inch on both sides.
UsingItalics,Underlined, and Bold in Text
- Put the titles of longer works (films, books, newspapers, websites, etc.) in italics.
- Use italics for foreign language words not common in English.
- Do NOT put the titles of short works (letters, speeches, newspaper article titles, etc.) in italics, use quotations marks.
- When handwriting, underline the titles of longer works.
- In general, do NOT use underlining when typing since it makes the text look like a link. Do not underline titles.
- Use bold to focus attention on a specific phrase or word.
- Do NOT add bold to quotes unless you explain that you are the one doing the bolding. (You don?t want to mislead your reader that the original author bolded the text.)
- Do NOT use bold or italics for quotes.