This Week and Next
Congrats to the Football Team: Huling Bowl 2016 Champs!
Discover U Week
October 17th begins Discover U week at West Seattle High School! The purpose of this week is to get students thinking, talking about, and making plans for life after high school. A few important events going on this week that you won’t want to miss:
- Wed, 10/19 - PSAT given to all sophomore and juniors
- Thurs, 10/20 - College Gear Day - all students and staff are encouraged to sport spirit wear from the college of their choice
- Thurs, 10/20 - College Application Completion Event from 5-7 pm in downstairs computer labs. Seniors: receive advice and support in completing and submitting your college applications online
Sophomores/Juniors Get Ready for PSAT
This Wednesday, all sophomores and juniors will be givein the PSAT exam free of charge. Students must be at school at 8:15 am to check-in, and the test will be given from 8:45-11:45.
Late arrivals will NOT be allowed to take the test. Please make sure your student gets a good night’s sleep and eats a healthy breakfast, so they’re ready to test. Also, no personal items, including CELL PHONES, will be allowed in the testing environment, so they should either be left at home or locked in your student’s lockers. Additionally, they must bring the following with them:
- Two #2 pencils with erasers
- A scientific calculator
- Their student ID
Caps and Gowns
Time to start thinking about graduation! During 3rd period on October 18th,
National Achiever will be here to meet with the senior class to talk
about cap and gown orders. Make sure your student attends their third
period so that they can learn about purchasing their cap and gown. How
Give Us Your Input!
The district is requesting input from families and community partners regarding the additional 20 minutes of instructional time that will be implemented in the 2017-18 school year and the 1 hour per week late arrival and early dismissal which is also scheduled for next year. Take the survey online. Responses are due by October 24th!
Clothing Drive Continues Through Thanksgiving
The WSHS girls basketball team is partnering with Clothes for a Cause to hold a used clothing and textile drive. Instead of discarding surplus clothing and household linens, give them a second life, donate your used clothing, bedding, shoes and linens to the WSHS Girls Basketball Team. All donated items will either be re-worn, recycled or re-purposed. Drop off bins will be located at WSHS, at the SWAC West Seattle football games or the girls basketball team will come to your house to pick up donated items. This fundraiser will help the West Seattle Girls Basketball get to California while you clean out your clutter. Email us for a pick-up at email@example.com. Download the flier to see what types of items can be donated.
College Visits Continue!
Attention parents of Juniors and Seniors - It's College Rep Visit Season Already!!! If you student is interested in visiting with reps from any of the schools visiting, they must be signed up to attend. Sign up sheets are located outside the counselors' offices. Visits include:
- Ursinus College - Oct 18, 9am
- Willamette University - Oct 18, 10am
- Coe College - Oct 19, 9am
- Whitworth University - Oct 31, 12:45pm
Donate a Dessert!
The Dessert Dash is a fun way to raise funds at the auction. We procure desserts from area bakeries and parent chefs alike. Do you have a delicious dessert you'd like to bake and share for the auction? Contact Dessert Dash coordinator to make arrangements.
Saturday, NOVEMBER 19 - the METROPOLIST
Come socialize with WSHS families and staff! The Spanish Nights Auction will be held at the METROPOLIST in SODO this year. Checkout all the details on our auction website.
- Buy Tickets
- Donate an Item or Service
Attending an auction not your thing? There's plenty of other ways you can show your support. Buy a Raffle Ticket for your chance to win a pair of Beats Solo2 Wireless Earphones - a great holiday gift for you or you student!
Share your time! Check out the available slots on our Sign Up Genius page. There are things we need help with right now! Day-of volunteers get free admission to the event and the ability to bid on silent auction items.
Service Learning Hours Opportunities
Does your student love basketball and want service learning hours? The boy’s basketball team is looking for 5 basketball managers this year to help with practices, games, statistics, film, and other duties. You will be a part of the program, travel to all games and be valued for your hard work just like the players. Please attend the informational meeting Thursday, October 20th at 3:25pm in the gym.
The West Seattle Library needs volunteers on Tuesdays from 3:45-5:15pm to play Math Games with students. Starts this week and ends in early December. Email Helen Maynard for an application.
Teen Activities at Hiawatha
Hiawatha Community Center has announced several fun, safe activities for teens.
- Teen Hunt & Costume Party - FREE! Loads of prizes, candy and more at Hiawatha. Best costume gift cards, outdoor hunt and an open gym party to follow. Location: Hiawatha Community Center on Thursday, October 20th from 6pm to 8:30pm. Ages 11 to 17 welcome.
- Service Hours! The Center is hosting an all-ages Halloween Carnival Friday, October 28th and we need your help to make it a success.
- Boys & Girls Youth Basketball - This is Recreation Basketball at its best! $70.00 covers all practices, weekend games, coaching, jersey and more. Season extends from November through March. Space is limited, so sign up today at Hiawatha Community Center.
- Hiawatha Open Gym - Remember Hiawatha Community Center for after school open gym, hoops, volleyball, weight training and current entertainment. Every day right after school until 4:30pm. FREE!
Class of 2017
Senior Pictures for Yearbook Due Dec 5
The deadline to get senior photos to Yearbook Staff is December 5. Below are guidelines for your picture.
- Head size from top of head to chin: 1 inch minimum (1.5w x 2v inches preferred)
- Color photos
- At least 300 dpi
- Keep the background simple
- No full body
- No props
- No passport photos
- No photos with partial heads. Your full head must be showing.
- No photos with dark shadows. These do not print well in the yearbook.
- No costumes or makeup that you don’t normally wear. (i.e. clown makeup, fake bruises, vampire teeth)
Email a digital copy of your picture to Ms. Gerard at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Senior Picture – your name.
Financial Aid Important Dates
October 20th - College Application Completion Event @ WSHS from 5-7 pm in Computer Labs 101 and 103. Sponsored by 12th Year Campaign. College advisors will be on hand to assist seniors in completing and submitting online applications to their colleges of choice.
November 8th- FAFSA night @ WSHS from 6:30-8:30 pm in the Library. Receive help in completing and submitting your 2017 FAFSA! To begin your online application and to see what documentation you will need to bring with you, go to their website.
Booster Club Meeting Schedule
The club meets once a month at 7pm in the school library - please join us. Mark your calendar with the following dates: Nov 7, Dec 5, Jan 9, Feb 7, Mar 7, Apr 4, May 2 and June 6