Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Meet the School Nurse

    Welcome to Westside! I look forward to working with you and your student to manage any acute or ongoing health concerns. I share space with the Neighborcare School-Based Health Center in Room 127.

    Health Resources during COVID-19 school building closures: School-Based Health Centers, which are located at many Seattle public middle and high schools, provide services to all students, regardless of their ability to pay.

    Visit our district website to learn more about School-Based Health Centers Resources.

    Prepare for Your Student’s Health at School

    Washington state law requires that school staff and parents plan together for the safe care of their child throughout the school day.

    • Health issues: Please report any health issue your child has that could impact safety and learning at school to the school nurse. You can contact the nurse directly by phone or e-mail. Or fill out the online student verification form (September 1-30) or through the Annual Student Health Update paper form. Examples include: Seizures, diabetes, asthma, life-threatening allergic reaction, cancer treatment, and anemia.

    • Medication at school: If your child needs to take any type of medication during the school day, even if it’s temporary, a medication form must be completed by the child’s health care provider and signed by parent. Authorization for Medications Taken at School (multiple languages)

    • Medical treatments at school: If your child needs a treatment at school, such as: G-tube feeding, insulin calculation, clean urinary catheterization, suctioning, nebulizer, dressing change, and others please have the health care provider complete the treatment form. Authorization for Treatments and Procedures to be Performed at School

    Fall Flu Shots

    Protect yourself and your community from the flu. Seattle Visiting Nurse Association will provide your annual flu shot to students (ages 4 and older), staff and community members.

    Most forms of insurance (including Apple Health and Medicaid) and cash or check are accepted. Visit the SPS Flu Clinics page for dates/times for a clinic near you.

    Students who are enrolled in their school-based health center can also get the flu shot. Visit the King County School Health website for a listing of locations.

    Immunization Information

    To attend school students must present a signed Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS). Our district requires that immunization information on the CIS comes from a medical provider. WA State Immunization laws state that the student is in compliance if they are:

    • Fully immunized or
    • In process of getting immunized
    • Has a completed Certificate of Exemption

    As of July 28, 2019, personal exemptions are no longer accepted in Washington State for the measles-MMR vaccine. Students who were previously in compliance with a Certificate of Exemption for MMR are now listed as out of compliance with state law.

    You can obtain a copy of your own or your child’s (under age 18) immunization record located in the Washington Immunization Information System (WAIIS).

    Visit to keep up-to-date with past immunizations, get reminders for your family’s future immunizations, and even print your own official records.

    Students can receive immunizations through their school-based health center or at a school-based health center located nearby. King County School Health

    Other Immunization Resources:

    Health Registration Form
    Please complete the Health Registration Form in your school packet and return to the main office. Also, for your convenience, you will find common Health Services Forms online.

    Medication at School?
    Students who take medications regularly at school or who need any medicines at school on an occasional basis must have an Authorization for Medication Form on file with the school nurse. Yes, this even includes meds like Tylenol and Ibuprofen as well as allergy meds and inhalers! Complete the parent section, return directly to me and I will fax it to your doctor/clinic for their authorization. This form must be renewed each school year and allows students to carry their meds or leave a supply, in their original containers, in the nurse office.

    If your student was caught in a disaster and stranded at school for several days would they have their needed meds? Do they ever forget their meds at home? Families are strongly encouraged to keep a 3-day disaster supply of meds (in original containers) at school with the nurse. Having a back up supply is particularly important for students with inhalers, epi-pens, diabetes and seizures. In addition, students with inhalers and epi-pens must have demonstrated correct usage to the nurse in order to self-administer.

    Immunizations are important to keep all our students safe and healthy. Moreover they are required for continued attendance at school. Non compliant students are excluded. Immunizations are available from your provider/clinic, many pharmacies or the Teen Health Center. Contact me for questions or to update your student's immunization status.

    Vision and Hearing Screening?
    Vision and hearing screens are not routinely done in high school but will be done when a concern is expressed or upon request.

    Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ)
    SPS Health program uses the SDQ questionnaire to help find students who can benefit from support, referrals, and extra planning. When students are struggling academically it is especially important to find out if there are barriers to learning that need to be addressed. We are delighted to find a tool that is well established, accessible to parents and older students, translated into many languages, simple to use and helpful to guide decisions about the best student support.

    There are many circumstances where this tool may be useful for your child: academic concerns, failing the HSPE, needing a Student Learning Plan, referrals to our Student Intervention Team. You are welcome to review the tool at: If you do NOT want the SDQ given to your child please contact me at 206-252-8807, leave your student's name and I will send you an exemption form to complete and return.

    Looking forward to a healthy and safe school year!

    Aimee Osland
    WSHS School Nurse

    Office: 206-252-8807
    Fax 206-743-3186

    Room 127

    Monday - Friday
    8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

    Additional Resources

    Health Services Forms

    Additional Resources

    Visit our SPS District Health Services Resource page for links to additional helpful information for families.

    School-Based Health Center (SBHC)

    Students have access to additional health services through the school-based health center located at this or a nearby school.

    Services are available to all students, regardless of their ability to pay. Your insurance may be billed and this program is also supported by the Seattle Families, Education, Preschool, and Promise Plan

    Services include immunizations, sports physicals, prescriptions, reproductive healthcare, mental health counseling, lab tests, and nutrition counseling.

    Families must enroll their student to receive most services. Students can enroll themselves for confidential health services. King County School Health