Skip To ContentSkip To Content


    • Since the March 11th Running Start Information Session was cancelled, we are sharing South Seattle College's presentation about Running Start here. Please review and connect with your student’s counselor if you have questions about the Running Start program and whether or not it would be a good fit for you or your student.
    • Placement Testing Updates: Placement testing has moved to online. Please review the alternative options for both English testing and Math testing:
    • Contact your school counselor to complete the EVF electronically and review classes you need for graduation.



    High School Juniors and Seniors have the opportunity to attend a local college (free of tuition) and earn both high school and college credits, taking courses that satisfy their high school graduation requirements. Students can do full-time Running Start and take classes only at the college, or do part-time Running Start splitting their time at West Seattle High School and the local college. For more information about Running Start, please review the PowerPoint presentation from South Seattle College.

    In order to participate in Running Start, students must take the placement test at a local college (typically South Seattle or Seattle Central College). Please review the registration process before taking the placement tests. 


    1. Complete the WSHS Running Start Contract

    2.  Apply online to a local college such as South Seattle College, Seattle Central College, or North Seattle College. It is free to apply to these three colleges.
      • In the application when asked what your intended major area of study is, please answer: Running Start.
      • Within two business days of submitting your application, you will receive an email with your Student ID (SID) number. Please save that email.

    3. Take Placement Test at the college. You must place into English 101 or college-level math to qualify.
      • Pay testing fee, bring photo ID, and Student ID number.
      • There are alternative testing scores we will accept such as SBAC, SAT, or ACT. Review the "Placement Testing" section in the Running Start Contract.

    4. Meet with your high school counselor to fill out the Enrollment Verification form (EVF). You are also required to bring along a signed West Seattle High School Running Start Contract, proof that you placed into English 101 or college-level Math.

    5. Contact your college to schedule a registration appointment. Please bring the following materials:
      • Completed and signed Running Start Enrollment Verification form
      • Running Start Contract form signed by student and parent/guardian
      • Copy of your Placement scores or alternative placement documents
      • Book loan/fee waiver form signed by your High School Counselor

    6. Get your Student ID card


    After registering to a local college, you will take the placement test to determine eligibility. Be sure to check out your local college's placement testing info and schedule before visiting: