Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Meet the School Nurse

    Welcome to Westside! I look forward to working with you and your student to manage any acute or ongoing health concerns. I share space with the Neighborcare School-Based Health Center in Room 127.

    Prepare for Your Student’s Health at School

    Washington state law requires that school staff and parents/guardians plan together for the safe care of their child throughout the school day.

    Health Issues

    Please report any health issue your child has that could impact safety and learning at school to the school nurse.

    To report an issue, you can contact the nurse directly by phone or email, fill out the online student verification form on The Source (September 1-30), or fill out the Annual Student Health Update paper form (on the district Health Services Forms page).

    Examples include: Seizures, diabetes, asthma, life-threatening allergic reaction, cancer treatment, and anemia.

    Medication at School

    If a student needs to take any type of medication during the school day, even if it is temporary, an Authorization for Medications Taken at School form (on the Health Services Forms page) must be completed by the student's health care provider and signed by the parent/guardian.

    Medical Treatments at School

    If a student needs a treatment at school, such as: G-tube feeding, insulin calculation, clean urinary catheterization, suctioning, nebulizer, dressing change, and others please have the student's health care provider complete the Authorization for Treatments and Procedures to be Performed at School form (on the Health Services Forms page).

    Fall Flu Shots

    Protect yourself and your community from the flu. Students (ages 4 and older), staff, and community members can get their annual flu shot at one of the flu shot clinics. Visit the SPS Flu Shot Clinics page for dates/times and to find a clinic near you.

    Most forms of insurance (including Apple Health and Medicaid) and cash or check are accepted.

    Students who are enrolled in their school-based health center can also get the flu shot. Visit the King County School Health website for a listing of locations.

    Immunization Resources

    Health Registration Form
    Please complete the Health Registration Form in your school packet and return to the main office. Also, for your convenience, you will find common Health Services Forms online.

    Medication at School?
    Students who take medications regularly at school or who need any medicines at school on an occasional basis must have an Authorization for Medication Form on file with the school nurse. Yes, this even includes meds like Tylenol and Ibuprofen as well as allergy meds and inhalers! Complete the parent section, return directly to me and I will fax it to your doctor/clinic for their authorization. This form must be renewed each school year and allows students to carry their meds or leave a supply, in their original containers, in the nurse office.

    If your student was caught in a disaster and stranded at school for several days would they have their needed meds? Do they ever forget their meds at home? Families are strongly encouraged to keep a 3-day disaster supply of meds (in original containers) at school with the nurse. Having a back up supply is particularly important for students with inhalers, epi-pens, diabetes and seizures. In addition, students with inhalers and epi-pens must have demonstrated correct usage to the nurse in order to self-administer.

    Immunizations are important to keep all our students safe and healthy. Moreover they are required for continued attendance at school. Non compliant students are excluded. Immunizations are available from your provider/clinic, many pharmacies or the Teen Health Center. Contact me for questions or to update your student's immunization status.

    Vision and Hearing Screening?
    Vision and hearing screens are not routinely done in high school but will be done when a concern is expressed or upon request.

    Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ)
    SPS Health program uses the SDQ questionnaire to help find students who can benefit from support, referrals, and extra planning. When students are struggling academically it is especially important to find out if there are barriers to learning that need to be addressed. We are delighted to find a tool that is well established, accessible to parents and older students, translated into many languages, simple to use and helpful to guide decisions about the best student support.

    There are many circumstances where this tool may be useful for your child: academic concerns, failing the HSPE, needing a Student Learning Plan, referrals to our Student Intervention Team. You are welcome to review the tool at: If you do NOT want the SDQ given to your child please contact me at 206-252-8807, leave your student's name and I will send you an exemption form to complete and return.

    Looking forward to a healthy and safe school year!

    Aimee Osland BSN RN

    Office: 206-252-8807
    Fax 206-743-3186

    Room 127

    Monday - Friday
    8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.


    Health Services Forms

    Additional Resources

    For information about head lice, how to know when your child is too sick for school, and more, please visit the SPS Health Services Additional Resources page.

    School-Based Health Center (SBHC)

    West Seattle Neighborcare Health

    List of King County School-Based Health Centers

    Students have access to additional health services through the school-based health center located at this or a nearby school.

    Services are available to all students, regardless of their ability to pay. Your insurance may be billed.

    Services include immunizations, sports physicals, prescriptions, reproductive healthcare, mental health counseling, lab tests, and nutrition counseling.

    Families must enroll their student to receive most services. Students can enroll themselves for confidential health services.